• David J. Perrotto

A few quick thoughts on what to do with your money when you change companies.

Congratulations! Great job!

It's easy to get so caught up in the excitement of having a new job that you don't stop to think about what this will mean for your finances.

Here are a few things experts suggest you do right after starting a new job;

Adjust your budget to your new salary

'Change over your insurance

In most cases, you won't be able to start using your new health insurance plan until you've worked at the company for 30 days. During the transition period, you'll want to enroll in COBRA to keep your old coverage going. That can be expensive, since you'll be taking over the costs that were once covered by your employer, but it's still worth the peace of mind that comes from knowing that you're prepared in case of an emergency. It's also worth finding out if your new job offers life or disability insurance . If not, you may be able to convert your former employer's group policy into an individual one.


Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Savings Accounts can offer tax-advantaged means to cover important budget items, such as health care, transportation, or dependent care. Any contributions made to an HSA are essentially yours to keep, so be aware that leaving your job doesn’t mean forfeiting the contributed funds. By contrast, FSA contributions operate on a “use it or lose it” basis. Funds don’t roll over from year-to-year, and any unused monies are forfeited. Plan to utilize any remaining FSA funds prior to departing your job.

Student Loans

Many student loan re-payment programs, such as PAYE, IBR and income-sensitive plans rely on your income as the basis for your monthly payment. A change in income due to a new job can impact this calculation – sometimes significantly. Communicate with your lender to determine your new payment level and adjust your budget accordingly.

Decide what to do with your former workplace's 401(k)

If your former employer offered a 401(k) plan to save for retirement, you'll have several options: keeping it there, rolling it over into your new 401(k), or rolling it into an IRA.

For most people, rolling over retirement accounts into an IRA is usually the way to go, An IRA account comes with the same tax-deferred benefits as 401(k), 403(b), and 457(b) accounts, with lower administrative costs and a wider range of funds to invest in.

If you just switched job's and need help with your 401(k), your benefits, or your insurance, don't hesitate to give me a call or write me an email.

#financialwellness #personalfinance #jobwellness

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
Need more details? Contact us

We are here to assist. Contact us by phone, email or via our social media channels.




149-21 84TH STREET
718-551-7131 (D)

  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black LinkedIn Icon

Investment Advisory Services are offered through Bright Futures Wealth Management and/or Cetera Advisors LLC registered investment advisers.  Securities are offered and sold through Cetera Advisors LLC, - A registered broker dealer. Member FINRA, SIPC. Bright Futures Wealth Management and Cetera Advisors LLC are not associated entities. Cetera is under separate ownership from any other company. Bright Futures Wealth Management is under separate ownership from any other company. Perrotto Private Wealth is under separate ownership.

This site is published for residents of the United States only. Financial Advisors of Cetera Advisors LLC, may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions in which they are properly registered. Not all of the products and services referenced on this site may be available in every state and through every advisor listed. For additional information please contact the advisor(s) listed on the site, visit the Cetera Advisors LLC site at www.CeteraAdvisors.com

Individuals affiliated with Cetera firms are either Registered Representatives who offer only brokerage services and receive transaction-based compensation (commissions), Investment Adviser Representatives who offer only investment advisory services and receive fees based on assets, or both Registered Representatives and Investment Adviser Representatives, who can offer both types of services


Copyright © 2021 Perrotto Private Wealth Management. All rights reserved